New Member RX-7 Technical Post your first technical questions here, in an easy flame free environment, before jumping into the main technical sections.

Gas Pedal Stuck to Carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas Pedal Stuck to Carpet?

So when I bought my 87 rx7 and drove it for the first time, I noticed the gas pedal was real close to the side wall. I've owned a 90 rx7 a while back and I don't remember it being this way. I worried that it may get stuck to the carpet if I floor it... Sure enough, I was driving it the other day and right as I revved it to downshift, the throttle got stuck for literally just 1 second before it popped back up. Now I'm not 100% sure it was stuck on the floor mat, but that was my initial thought.

The car did get reupholstered seats, not sure if they re-did the carpet as well.

I did some searching on here and found people talking about the TPS and cable being an issue in some cases, but in my case, I feel it may just be the carpet that caused this. I couldn't find any other post where this has been an issue for others aside from 1 person commenting it in the past.

When you guys floor your FC S4, Does the back of the pedal touch the ground? And does the side of the pedal touch the wall or get really really close to it?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-17, 06:37 PM
Rotary Motoring
Tenured Member 20 Years

Received 819 Likes on 543 Posts
The FC gas pedal is on a steel rod that you can just grab and bend up and toward the brake pedal to get the right position for heel toe.

I had to do this on my FC.

The pedal stop is actually on the other end of the pivot from the pedal and can be adjusted (just get your head under there and you will see the bolt right by the pivot).

Any messing with the pedal stop, rod or cable on the top end (other side of the pivot from pedal) and you might have to re-adjust your TPS.

Last edited by BLUE TII; 07-10-17 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 07-10-17, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by BLUE TII
a steel rod that you can just grab and bend
A steel rod you can just grab and bend, that sounds odd to me, haha.

I'll poke my head down there later tonight to see if I can spot what you're referring to. The thought of "bending" anything down there concerns me but I'll have a better idea of what you're talking about when I actually take a closer look.

I feel like all of the pedals could be shifted over to the left, they are all pretty nicely packed next to each other for heal toe, just wish the gas wasn't so close to the wall.

Thanks for the tip, I'll report what I find!
Old 07-10-17, 06:48 PM

Thanks for uploading a picture! This helps me see what I'm looking for when I go down there to check mine out in person.
Old 07-10-17, 11:44 PM
Retired Moderator, RIP

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts
You can't just shift the pedals over as it would involve a LOT of modifying.
The base of the pedal frame goes onto the firewall and it also attaches to the under side of the dash.
Old 07-11-17, 05:43 AM
Have RX-7, will restore
Veteran: ArmyTenured Member 20 Years

Received 1,090 Likes on 922 Posts
Also, check to make sure that the throttle cable isn't stretched causing a dead pedal feeling. The throttle cable does keep tension on the pedal.
Old 01-03-18, 09:09 PM

Updating this post once more. So over the weekend, it happened again - gas pedal got stuck on the carpet (or possibly the mat this time). I hadn't done any modifying to the pedal since the last time I posted on here because I don't want to mess with the tension and have to mess with the TPS since all of that feels on point.

I was taking my dad out for a drive in it this time and I felt bad that he had to see that happen so when I got home I immediately went down in there to see what I can do.

I did notice my mat was pretty high up (after market mat) so it's possible that it got stuck on the mat and not the carpet, so I'm completely removing my mat for now...
Secondly, I looked at the carpet. The car has been reupholstered in the past so it's not original anymore. Upon pressing the pedal all the way in with my hand, I notice that it touches the carpet at the last 10% of the throttle. There's even wear on the carpet from the rubbing. I went ahead and pulled the carpet back to see how the foam padding is placed, and it had an overlap on it. They had cut a wedge in the carpet to get the angle right, but they cut it too short so there was a triangle section overlapping making it thicker in that area! I quickly cut out a triangle from that section so that there is no doubled up foam padding under the carpet.

After doing this, I press the pedal in 100% again and it STILL touches carpet about 5% at the end of the throttle. I feel like I'm being robbed pedal power here, haha.

Is this normal for the pedal to touch/rub the side wall on full throttle? I remember OEM carpet had a leather section on the right side of the wall to prevent wear from the shoes rubbing it, but I'm just curious if your pedals touch that right wall at all on full throttle or if the pedal comes to a stop before that point?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-18, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Romthirty
Updating this post once more. So over the weekend, it happened again - gas pedal got stuck on the carpet (or possibly the mat this time). I hadn't done any modifying to the pedal since the last time I posted on here because I don't want to mess with the tension and have to mess with the TPS since all of that feels on point.

I was taking my dad out for a drive in it this time and I felt bad that he had to see that happen so when I got home I immediately went down in there to see what I can do.

I did notice my mat was pretty high up (after market mat) so it's possible that it got stuck on the mat and not the carpet, so I'm completely removing my mat for now...
Secondly, I looked at the carpet. The car has been reupholstered in the past so it's not original anymore. Upon pressing the pedal all the way in with my hand, I notice that it touches the carpet at the last 10% of the throttle. There's even wear on the carpet from the rubbing. I went ahead and pulled the carpet back to see how the foam padding is placed, and it had an overlap on it. They had cut a wedge in the carpet to get the angle right, but they cut it too short so there was a triangle section overlapping making it thicker in that area! I quickly cut out a triangle from that section so that there is no doubled up foam padding under the carpet.

After doing this, I press the pedal in 100% again and it STILL touches carpet about 5% at the end of the throttle. I feel like I'm being robbed pedal power here, haha.

Is this normal for the pedal to touch/rub the side wall on full throttle? I remember OEM carpet had a leather section on the right side of the wall to prevent wear from the shoes rubbing it, but I'm just curious if your pedals touch that right wall at all on full throttle or if the pedal comes to a stop before that point?

Thanks!
It shouldn't rub at all; as you found this could be quite dangerous.