3rd Generation Specific (1993-2002) 1993-2002 Discussion including performance modifications and Technical Support Sections.
Sponsored by:

BNR turbo from group buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16 | 02:46 AM

BNR turbo from group buy

Hey guys , I just got finish putting BNR turbo in the motor and try to start it up.Anyway when i star it up it would not start i try about three or four time then i stop.It turn out i flooded the motor.I should mention that the car been sitting for about three month. Anyway when i got out of the car i smell gas very strong so i check every thing under UIM looks at the fuel line ,fuel filter injector no leaks.But when i go under the car under the turbo i saw puddle of some liquid it turn out to be gas so i look up at the turbo sure enough it came out of the turbo.Look at the pic how can it come out through the gasket like that ? This is a brand new BNR from group buy from IRP. If it can leaks out liquid it should be able to leak out exhaust gas right ? What should i do any one had any experience on this issue? I really need help.
[IMG]https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rx7club.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-img_1350_612c2d17fd54d4210ea774f4f22378949b76e5dBNR turbo from group buy-img_1346.jpg

BNR turbo from group buy-img_1347.jpg

BNR turbo from group buy-img_1348.jpg

BNR turbo from group buy-img_1349.jpg

BNR turbo from group buy-img_1350.jpge.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-09-16 | 03:25 AM
Rotary Motoring

It is normal for gasoline to be able to permeate cold stainless steel multi layer gasket.

I had the same experience when I had an injector stick open on start-up.

Fix the car and then see if the turbo leaks at all once warmed up; my bet is that it will not.
Old 08-09-16 | 04:38 AM

I forgot to mention the motor is brand new all so i got it from Lucky7 almost three month ago.Any trick on try to start it with out flooding? I put every thing back where it should be when i install the motor and check it again ,again and again what can cause it to flood? All the injector was send to RC to get it clean and balance got a new plug and wire new fuel filter .Can it be that it just sat to long? Any way thanks for your reply i hope you are right about the fuel leaks on the turbo cause of the new multi stainless steel gasket.To pull the turbo out from under the car is not something i'm looking forward to do.I will post back an up date when i work on it again.
Old 08-09-16 | 06:27 AM

A new motor with new apex seals needs to build compression for it to start. Your plugs are probably soaked with gas by now. Disconnect the fuel injectors/ pull egi fuse, then pull your plugs. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Crank the motor over with plugs out so that all the fuel in the chambers will be expelled. Crank for a count of ten. Stop, then crank for a count of ten then stop. 3-4 times will do the trick. Put a very small amount of ATF into each chamber. Crank it over for a count of ten. Stop. Repeat 3-4 times. Then install new plugs. Put your egi fuse back in. Try it then. Do not touch the gas pedal. You should get it to fire and there's going to be a ton of smoke so do this outside or in a very well ventilated garage. Also, on any new engine, make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy. Good luck. Any good engine builder, especially the guys at Lucky 7, can help you with start up procedures especially if it is on an engine they built.
Old 08-09-16 | 02:10 PM

I had the non start up problem when i first fixed my FD vacuum lines and gaskets. The car sat for 4 months and didnt fire right up after putting it back together. So I unflooded my car with the egi trick and put my battery charger on to jump start mode and surely enough it sputtered to life. The car even had a bad fuel filter and somehow started. I would also recommend considering getting fresh gas in the tank.
Old 08-10-16 | 12:39 AM

[ATTACH]BNR turbo from group buy-img_1352.jpg[/ATTACH]Here what i found to to day i got an old harness and cut the injector clip out and test the injector.Injector still in the motor i just pull the injector clip off and use the on i got from old harness i made the longer so i can hook it up to the battery.I start testing it both of secondary make a click when i use my tester on the primary one make a click and one did not.So i pull the bad one out and here what it look like in the picture .
Attached Thumbnails BNR turbo from group buy-img_1351.jpg  
Old 08-11-16 | 02:45 AM

Hey thanks all and Blue TII helpme out I did got one injector stuck open so i change it and car start right up and gas leak from turbo is gone.
Old 08-12-16 | 09:30 AM
Sponsor

It is impossible for a turbo to leak gasoline because there are no gasoline lines going through it. As you found, you had an issue with your fuel system. The motor was flooded with gasoline and since the turbos are in the exhaust system, the fuel ended up there. And yes gasoline is thin enough where it will leak past multi layered steel gaskets. Those injectors look to be in very poor condition. I would strongly recommend replacing them with something newer. I've been seeing more and more original injectors failing as these cars get older.