2nd Generation Specific (1986-1992) 1986-1992 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you ever done ATF & Did it work?
Yes, and it fixed my engine problems.
34.29%
Yes, and it didn't fix anything.
15.71%
No, who would put ATF in their engine?!?
50.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever done ATF Treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-02, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever done ATF Treatment?

Question is have you ever done the ATF Treatment to your engine and what the results were.
Old 08-24-02, 09:52 PM
Epitrochoid Knight/Mod

I did the ATF trick when my 7 was badly flooded and it got her started but I'm not sure what you mean by it "fixed the engine problem". The trick is good for a badly flooded engine but its not meant for routine maintenance or some kind of miracle cure if thats what you mean.
Old 08-24-02, 10:06 PM

Lightbulb

um....NO
Old 08-24-02, 11:38 PM
I dont know a damn thing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wrong the ATF TRICK is more what it is called you do it when your engine is loosing compression or sometimes lost all comp Ive done it before it didnt work on mine because it was a blown oil seal it will work more when the rotor is loosing compression i have friends that have done it it does work and if you do it say a monthly basis it does wonders...if you dont like doing that then you can do the water injection trick into your intake manifold its a little cleaner than the atf trick and has the same ideal results i just do it for regular maintenace
Old 08-25-02, 12:03 AM

...if you dont like doing that then you can do the water injection trick into your intake manifold its a little cleaner than the atf trick and has the same ideal results i just do it for regular maintenace
whats the warter trick ??? never heard of it
Old 08-25-02, 06:12 AM
Eats, Sleeps, Dreams Rotary

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
I've had to do it 4 times since I've owned '89TII. If the car sits longer than @ 2 weeks without being started in the winter, compression down. This is the only way to start it. What a PIA.
I have a '70 Firebird 455 that sits for months, a little fuel and it fires right up.
Old 08-25-02, 07:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have done that when I flooded my engine. I was In a rush and had shut off my car during cold start up. After the "ATF trick" my car started Immediately. Althrough out the process I was saying " damn this doesn't look to healthy for my engine but It did start after several other attempts. My car smoked like a bitch for a full 3 minutes. My ENTIRE undergroung parking was clogged with white smoke.
Old 08-25-02, 09:07 AM
Engine, Not Motor

Received 113 Likes on 95 Posts
Hell no! ATF is not good for your engine. It is not engine fix fluid. The ONLY time it should be used is in cases of severe flooding. Even then, oil will work just as well.
Old 08-25-02, 09:24 AM

As stated above, I've used it when seal "shrink" in cold weather, and low compression.
Question is, how does it work with a flooded engine.
I assumed you just removed fuse, plugs, crank engine, put plugs in and it starts. Just what does the ATF do if the engine is flooded? Added more fluid I would think would just add to the flooding condition.
Need some education.
Thanks
Old 08-25-02, 09:58 AM
Engine, Not Motor

Received 113 Likes on 95 Posts
SEARCH.
Old 08-25-02, 10:36 AM

Aaron:
Havn't read every thread, but all threads I've read doesn't explain why on flooded engine. All websites refer to ATF for low compression. I know people have now used this to counteract all types of remedies, but have not seen what ATF really does to a flooded engine, other than people saying"Did you use the ATF trick?" Or they removed plugs, fuse,cranked engine over, added ATF and they tried to start it. Now it fires......ATF wonderful.
I personally believe like Dave @ KD, ATF for lubrication, kerosene for penetration to free up seals, only if needed.
Old 08-25-02, 03:08 PM
Rotary Enthusiast

atf for flooded engine, in severe cases of flooding, the plugs needed to be removed, and a lot of cranking without the egi fuse, the engine is not getting enough oil to allow the seals to make compression, squirting the atf in is a remdy by some to relubricate teh seals and make compression to restart the car.

atf as engine flush, after working in the oil change bussines for a few years, i learned that atf can be used as a poor mans engine flush, add 1/2 a litre to the crankcase oil and run the car for 5-7 min, turn off change oil and filter, should clean some of the gunk out that a regular oil change wouldn't get, plus its not as harsh as some of the engine flush detergents.

in my winter beater pontiac acadian i pour atf into the carb with a freind revving the engine, smokes like a bitch , but after the car has more power(as much as that pos can have) and runs smoother.
Old 08-25-02, 08:11 PM

Makes sense, if too much gas has caused the seals to lose contact with housings.
Thanks
Old 08-25-02, 10:15 PM
Back from teh deadly!

Does anyone use the search feature anymore?
Old 08-26-02, 11:40 AM

better question is, "when will people stop bitching about searching and ending the post when they could search and link the person in need of help to related threads"

https://www.rx7club.com/forum/search...der=descending
Old 08-26-02, 11:41 AM
Seduced by the DARK SIDE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't needed it yet.
Old 08-26-02, 02:37 PM
LS what?

I am in the process of doing the MMO trick to a TII i just bought a week ago. It is an 88 with only 55,000 miles on it so i think an apex seal may be sticking from sitting for a while. I will let you all know how it turns out.
Old 08-26-02, 08:05 PM

atf

Originally posted by wpgrexx
atf for flooded engine, in severe cases of flooding, the plugs needed to be removed, and a lot of cranking without the egi fuse, the engine is not getting enough oil to allow the seals to make compression, squirting the atf in is a remdy by some to relubricate teh seals and make compression to restart the car.

atf as engine flush, after working in the oil change bussines for a few years, i learned that atf can be used as a poor mans engine flush, add 1/2 a litre to the crankcase oil and run the car for 5-7 min, turn off change oil and filter, should clean some of the gunk out that a regular oil change wouldn't get, plus its not as harsh as some of the engine flush detergents.

in my winter beater pontiac acadian i pour atf into the carb with a freind revving the engine, smokes like a bitch , but after the car has more power(as much as that pos can have) and runs smoother.
DITO., i have a 88 na and i did the atf trick for two reasons , first for the flooding and second for the compression assistance and it worked great. But there is a better trick to do to help on the flooding prob. install a fuel cut off switch under the dash. pics and wiring in the archives. it works great no more flooding and starts every time no matter how long or short you run the car
Old 08-26-02, 09:25 PM

Nope. No WAY. NEVER!!

I agree with Aaron on this one.

I have an 88 NA that has fooded many times. First couple times tried alot of stuff, but the BEST way I have found that has worked EVERY time for me is getting a bump start (having another vehicle push your car as you put it in gear and pop the clutch) or pull start (same thing except with a chain or tow strap). It has worked for me more than a dozen times. Auto guys, don't know what to tell you.
Old 02-23-03, 04:04 AM
Alcohol Fueled!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I voted no, but I have used it to unflood motors. Thats the ONLY time I would use it...And personally, I am gonna use oil, or push start from here on out.

Jarrett
Old 02-23-03, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by jeff88
Nope. No WAY. NEVER!!

I agree with Aaron on this one.

I have an 88 NA that has fooded many times. First couple times tried alot of stuff, but the BEST way I have found that has worked EVERY time for me is getting a bump start (having another vehicle push your car as you put it in gear and pop the clutch) or pull start (same thing except with a chain or tow strap). It has worked for me more than a dozen times. Auto guys, don't know what to tell you.
You actually have someone rub you in the rear end?
I'll use atf before any of that.
Old 02-23-03, 10:57 AM

I was having a flooding problem but I installed a Fuel Cut Off Switch. It cost about 5 bucks and my engine never floods.. I found that if my car was idling over 800 rpm than the car flooded and I use the switch. If the car is fully warmed up and idling around 750 rpm I use the key. If I forget and turn off the key with it idling high I just turn off the switch and crank the car a couple times and it unfloods..
Old 02-23-03, 06:50 PM

Its been proven many times to do wonders on sticking seals. However, I am hesitant to do it in my engine that runs fine. I would call it a last resort before rebuild compression fix.

Change your spark plugs aftarwards, and i've heard removing your catalytic converter is a good idea for the burn off.

Thats for the 24-48 hour soak. Using a bit for flooding I have heard works. Never done it though.
Old 02-23-03, 08:14 PM
Legend in my Spare Time

My 87 SE wouldn't start. Gave every indication of having low compression. I used the ATF as a last ditch to costly repairs. Not only did it work, my car had the feeling of increased tourqe and lost its 3800 rpm hesitation.

The other day I spent an hour digging it out of 2 feet of Ohio snow and it fired right up. I don't think it would have been nearly as friendly had I not used the ATF a couple of months ago.
Old 02-23-03, 08:21 PM

I have used the trick. When I first bought my 7 it was not in a running order and had not run in a long time according to person I bought it off (they thought engine was maybe blown). So me and a friend put some ATF in and later that night it started. Not sure if the ATF helped or if it was the fact that the gas tank was empty and we added some gas. But I am sure it helped a bit to clean the engine some and also help the compression a bit.

Quick Reply: Have you ever done ATF Treatment?